K — Over a leaping animal (buck or rabbit), %" x 7/32" proof mark on a late percussion Kentucky rifle barrel bored out smooth to .69 caliber, with Jas. Golcher, Philadelphia, back action lock.
K W & A — Stamping inside a flint Kentucky rifle lock marked ex ternally "KETLAND & CO." Probably Ketland, Walker & Adams, listed in Birmingham, England in 1818. Though not American gunmakers, listed as marking likely to be found on American made rifles.
KAIL, Wm. — Maker of half stock, curly maple, percussion rifle with oval patch box and brass furniture.
KAMF, Henry— Collomsville, Pa.
KANE, P. — Unlocated. Maple half-stock, .36 caliber octagon barrel percussion plains rifle.
KANSTEINER, William— Hannibal, Mo. Born in Germany in 1829. Emigrated to U. S. to become apprentice with Henry W. Breick, in St. Louis, in 1847.
KANTS, F. (or Kantz)— Unlocated. Fine flintlock Kentucky rifle with ornate patchbox, lock and hardware finely engraved.
KANTZ, E. — Unlocated. Skilled maker of Kentucky rifles. Same as F. Kants or Kantz?
KASCHELINE, Peter— Northampton County, Pa., 1775. Musket maker to Committee of Safety.
Kascheline, Peter—A Committee of Safety musket maker of Northhampton County, Pa., 1775-76.
KASSAN, William M.— Columbus, Ohio, 1835.
KAUP, Eli — Unidentified. Percussion Kentucky rifles. KAUP, Levi Union County, Pa. See Caup, Levi.
KAUTZKY, Joe— Fort Dodge, Iowa, 1897-1939. Learned the trade working with his father in Austria. Later practiced in Vienna in an establishment making high grade, hand made guns. After coming to U. S. "made several complete guns."
KEADING, C. H. V.— 418 Washington St., San Francisco, Calif., 1861.
KEARLING, Samuel— Amity Township, Berks Co., Pa., 1779.
KEEFER, J. C. — Early percussion Kentucky rifles.
KEELEY, Matthias — Pennsylvania musket maker. Contracted March 2, 1776, with the Province of Pennsylvania for 100 firelocks. Thirty-one were delivered and ordered, proved by firing, March 2, 1776. Forty-two more were delivered Nov. 8, 1776, and a lot of 36 on Feb. 27, 1777.
KEELEY, Sebastian— Pennsylvania, 1775. Engaged to make 100 fire locks according to pattern for the Province of Pennsylvania to be delivered at six per week until he "compleats 100."
Keely, Matthias—Contracted with Committee of Safety at Philadelphia for 100 muskets. Thirty-one of these arms had been delivered prior to March 2, 1776. These were ordered “proven with the weight of the powder equal to the weight of the ball and the muskets so proven to he stamped with the letters PP.” Keely was paid £189 for 42 new arms on November 8, 1776. On February 27, 1777, he delivered 36 additional.
Keely, Sebastian—A Committee of Safety gunsmith of Pa., 1775. Contracted on November 9, 1775, to deliver six firelocks per week until 100 were delivered.
Keen* J. C.—Joliet, ill. Produced double, side by side rifles, percussion. Probably shotguns also, circa 1876-80.
KEEN, WALKER & CO.— Danville, Va. Confederate arms manu factory. Advertised for 20-30 gunsmiths June 26, 1862. Believed to have made the Read carbine, made under Confederate patent No. 154 of March 20, 1863. Probabilities are that Keen Walker & Co., were the backers, with Read in charge of shop operations.
KEENER & SONS— See John & Peter Keener.
KEENER, Jacob— Baltimore, Md., 1802.
KEENER, John and Peter— North Green St., Old Town, (now Exeter St.) Baltimore, Md., 1796-99. Name changed to Keener & Sons in the 1802 Directory. Firm active to 1831.
Keener, Sam—Baltimore, Maryland. Contract musket maker to Maryland Council of Safety. A report dated January 31, 1776, states thirty muskets had been delivered. On the 7th of. February following, a committee assigned to prove firearms made for the public service reported “32 of Keener's muskets bad been proven, 13 were good, 19 bad.” (Archives of Maryland, Browne, Baltimore, 1893, Vols. XVI, XXI, several references.)
KEENER, Samuel — Baltimore, Md., Revolutionary War period.
KEEPORTS, George P.— Keeper of Public Arms, Baltimore, Md., 1776-79.
KEERAN, L. — Maker of a walnut half stock, German silver trim, percussion sporting rifle.
Keesey & Applebay—Steubenville, Ohio, 1874-75. See Alexander Applebay.
KEFFER, Jacob— Lancaster, Pa., 1802-1820. Flintlock Kentucky rifle.
Keffer, Jacob—Rifle maker of Lancaster, Pa., 1802.
KEIFFLER — (South-central Pa.?) Maker of a walnut stock, Kentucky type percussion rifle.
KEIM, John — Reading, Pa., gunsmith. Carried on the gunsmith busi ness established by Worley on Wyomissing Creek, Pa., in 1811. Had been Worley's superintendent. The shops subsequently came in possession of Nicholas Yokum & Son, who had furnished the iron for the Keim shops, and in turn, later were sold to Franklin K. Schnader, who improved the buildings and erected a dam. The Schnader plant was still in operation in 1890, under the management of Nathaniel Schnader, son of Franklin K.
Keim, John—In 1811 a man by the name of Worley built two gun- shops on the Wyomissing, Reading, Pa. Keim, the foreman, succeeded Worley about 1821 and continued until 1839 when Frank K. Sclinader obtained possession.
KEITH — Philadelphia, Pa. Breech-loading Kentucky rifle.
KEITH, H. — Unlocated. Kentucky rifles. Possibly same as Keith of Philadelphia.
Kelker & Bro.—Harrisburg, Penna. Produced over and under percussion rifles and shotguns, combination guns and pistols, about 1870-73.
KELKER & BROS. — Harrisburg, Pa., gun-lock makers.
KELLAR — Maryville, Tenn. Fullstock percussion Kentucky rifle.
KELLER — Houstontown, Pa.
KELLER, C. — Evansville, Ind. Percussion halfstock rifle.
KELLER, I.— Cumberland Valley, Pa., Kentucky rifles.
KELLER, I. or J.— Carlisle, Cumberland Co., Pa. Fine 15-lb. flintlock Kentucky match rifle, period of 1820; early percussion Kentucky rifles; later rifle with back-action lock.
KELLER, J. W. — Casey, 111. Reported maker of plain, fullstock per cussion Kentucky rifle.
KELLER, Z.— Carlisle, Pa., rifle maker.
Kellogg & Co.; Kellogg, E. C. C.— Rifleniaker of Hartford, Conn., t859-75. Became Kellogg & Co. about 1871.
KELLOGG BROS.— New Haven, Conn., 1850-90.
Kellogg, Alfred A.; Kellogg Bros.—New Haven, Conn., 1857-80. Alfred A. Kellogg worked alone at 202 State Street, 1867-76. Henry Kellogg patented a breech-loader May 20, 1862. Produced rifles and shotguns.
KELLY, Samuel — Pennsylvania; Kentucky rifles.
Kemble, Gouvemeur—See West Point Foundry.
KEMMERER, David— Carbon County, Pa.
KEMMERER, David, Jr.-— Lehighton, Pa. Son of David Kemmerer, above.
KEMP, Bennie — Unlocated. Maker of a long slim rifle.
KEMP, W.— Unlocated.
KEMPTON, Ephraim— Salem and Boston, Mass., 1677.
KENDALL, N.— See Kendall, N. & Co., below.
KENDALL, N. & CO.— Windsor, Vt., 1835-43. Makers of a 5-shot under-hammer, percussion rifle with a sliding breech block. Kendall's associates in the manufacture of this arm were Hub bard and Smith. Originally the Kendall arms were made at the Windsor prison, using prison labor in addition to that of a num ber of free mechanics who did the finer work. Probabilities are that the barrels for the Kendall rifles were made by Eliphalet Remington, at Ilion, N. Y. Kendall & Co. gave up the gun busi ness in 1842, and in 1843 N. Kendall in association with Richard S. Lawrence established a gun shop, in which they were joined by S. E. Robbins in 1844. See Robbins, Kendall & Lawrence.
KENDALL, Nicanor— Windsor, Vt., 1835-1843. See N. Kendall & Co. Underhammer percussion rifles with 5-chamber sliding breech block, side-hammer hunting rifle, heavy target and Kentucky pistols, shotguns.
Kendall, Nicanor—Born December 20, 1807. Served an apprenticeship with Asa Story and invented the unrierharniner rifle while serving in this capacity. Production of these arms began about 1835 by Kendall, Hubbard & Smith in shops of the Vermont State Prison. Convict labor was employed. These arms were usually marked “N. Kendall, Windsor, Vt.M or “Smith's Improved Patent Stud Lock” for Win. B. Smith. Smith later worked for David Hall Hilliard at Cornish, N. II. About 1838 changed to “N. Kendall & Co.” until 1842, then to “Kendall & Lawrence” (Richard S. Lawrence). In 1844 Robbins, Kendall & Lawrence (Samuel E. Robbins), received a government contract, February 18, 1845, for 10,000 Model 1841 rifles at $11.90 each, deliveries within five years. Kendall retired in 1849 an^ died December 24, 1861. See Robbins, Kendall & Lawrence.
KENNEDY— See Logan & Kennedy.
KENNEDY, E. E. & CO.— Unidentified. Percussion rifle, apparently conversion from flintlock.
KENNEDY, E. M.— Unidentified.
KENNEDY, Martin F.— 163 Third St., St. Paul, Minn, 1867-69.
Kennedy, Martin F.—Gun and Rifle maker, 163 Third St., Saint Paul, Minn., 1864-69.
KENT — Lock marking of a Model 1795, maple stocked musket be lieved to have been made on contract by Mathew & Nathan Elliott, of Kent, Connecticut, under Act of July 5, 1798, for 500 Charleville type muskets. 235 delivered by June 10, 1801.
KENTON, G. S. — Unlocated. Percussion telescope pistol.
KERKSZROEZER, F. & CO.— St. Louis, Mo, percussion Schuetzen rifles.
KERLIN, John — Bucks County, Pa, musket maker to Committee of Safety. Contracted for 50 muskets and bayonets on July 18, 1776, the arms to be made according to pattern, at 85 shillings each. John Kerlin is recorded in Chester County in 1766-68.
Kerlin, John—Pennsylvania. Contracted with the Committee of Safety for 50 muskets according to pattern at ¿4:5 each; July 18, 1776. This at Philadelphia. (American Archives, Fifth Series, Vol. I, No. 1297.) Paid I4H0 for nine new guns delivered October 29, 1776.
KERLIN, John, Jr. — Bucks County, Pa, musket maker associated with Samuel Kerlin in a contract of May 2, 1801, with the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, for 500 Charleville pattern, (Model 1795), muskets. They obtained a contract for an addi tional 500 on June 30, 1801. In February, 1811, John Kerlin as surety for John Miles, Jr., took over the defaulted Miles con tract of July 20, 1808, for the balance of the undelivered arms. About 1826, when Congress authorized a refund for improve ments and modifications made in contract muskets of 1808 in volving deviation from pattern, the Estate of John Kerlin re reived the reimbursement. Probabilities are that no changes were made in the Miles marking when Kerlin took over the contract.
KERLIN, Samuel— Bucks County, Pa. Associate of John Kerlin, Jr., in contracts of May 2, 1801, and July 30, 1801, for 500 muskets each, with the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.
KERLING, John — Employed in 1810 as musket barrel maker by Joseph Henry and Abraham Nippes.
KERN, Daniel — Pennsylvania; making flintlock Kentucky rifles in 1776.
KERN, Frederick R.— Lancaster, Pa., 1857.
KERN, Reinhard— Lancaster, Pa., 1857.
KERR, Michael— Philadelphia, Pa., 1790.
Kerr, Michael—Gunsmith of Philadelphia, 1788-90, before and after, Doubtful as to arms production.
Kessler—Gunsmith of Weston, Missouri, about 1845-58.
KESSLER, John— Weston, Mo., about 1840-60.
KETLAND, John and Thomas — Philadelphia, Pa. Contractors on Nov. 15, 1797, with the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania for "ten thousand stands of arms ... of the fashion or pattern of the French Charleville Musquet ... to be stamped or marked near the breech with letters C. P. . . . the weight of the musquet and bayonet thus compleated not to exceed eleven pounds.'" This contract which the Ketlands expected to fill with British arms, was not fulfilled as the British government would not permit the export of arms. The Ketlands are known to have made locks for Kentucky rifles, and usually stamped their name inside the lock-plate. The Ketlands, residents of Philadelphia, were connected with the firm of Thomas Ketland, well known arms makers of London and Birmingham, England, 1750-1829. It is believed that the Philadelphia branch retailed imported gun parts, especially flint rifle and musket locks, European locks being less costly and on the whole well made. The Ketlands also stocked muskets as sembled from imported parts, using walnut and curly maple stocks. A colonial flint musket is known, full stocked in curly maple with barrel marked "LONDON" and London Gunmakers proof, and lock plate, marked "KETLAND & CO." Another similar musket is known, walnut stocked, with like type of English, engraved brass furniture. It is possible that the Philadelphia branch secured and used on non-contract or commercial muskets a shipment of 1,551 im ported, gooseneck hammer, Ketland locks marked "UNITED STATES," which had arrived at Philadelphia on or about 15th July 1800, on order of U. S. Government and are believed to have been rejected. Such a short musket, similar in general appear ance and engraved furniture to the above arms, is known, equipped with a lock marked externally "KETLAND & CO." and "UNITED STATES," and stamped inside "T.K." for Thomas Ketland. It is not known, and doubtful, if any Ketland locks were made in Philadelphia. Imports, as mentioned above, were satis factory from the procurement and manufacturing standpoints, and were less costly due to lower labor costs abroad. Evidence of Ketland locks originally marked, (not overstamped), "Phila delphia," or made to original percussion system is lacking.
KEY, R.— Central Pennsylvania.
KHAN, W. T. C— Philadelphia, Pa., 1840.
KIBLAR, Jacob — Marking on an early percussion rifle typical of the southern Kentucky mountain type, with iron hardware, no butt plate and grease-hole in lieu of a patch box.
KISER, A. — Unlocated. Highly ornamented flintlock Kentucky rifles.
KILE, Nathan— Raccoon Creek, Jackson Co., Ohio, 1817-1824.
Kile, Nathan—Riflemaker, Raccoon Creek, Jackson County, Ohio, 1817.
KILES, N.— Unlocated. Halfstock, brass patchbox, late flintlock rifle. (Same as Kile, N.?)
KILLIAN, George — Lancaster, Pa., 1857.
KILLOGG, A. A.— New Haven, Conn., 1874-76.
KILPATRICK, D.— Philadelphia, Pa. Silver-mounted, short, percus sion Buffalo rifle.
KIMMERER, David— Carbon Co., Pa.
KINCAID, J. or I. — Maker of a plain, southern style, flintlock Ken tucky rifle, (converted with lug in original gooseneck hammer), with a W. T. Howell & Co. lock.
KINDER, Samuel — Philadelphia, Pa., gun-lock maker to Committee of Safety. With James Walsh in December, 1776, petitioned to Committee of Safety for redress (on contracted arms) due to high cost of tools, material and labor. Earlier, in November, 1776, Kinder was one of the petitioners representing Philadel phia gun makers, complaining to the Committee of Safety against the high and rising cost of materials entering into gun making and quoting advances in prices within one year.
Kinder, Samuel—Philadelphia, Pa. Gunsmith and gunlock maker to Committee of Safety, 1775-76.
KING — New London, Huron Co., Ohio.
King, Daniel—Cannon founder of Germantown and Philadelphia. Served during the Revolution and until 1793 or later. Produced Model 1793, 2.85-inch bronze howitzers, probably in 1795.
KING, Frederick— Lancaster, Pa., 1857.
KING, P. P.— Celina, Ohio, 1845-85.
King, Ross—Los Angeles, Calif. Of the firm of L. Wundhammer Co., he succeeded Wundhammer upon the latter’s death in 1919.
KINGSLAND, R. & CO.— Makers of flintlock Kentucky rifle locks.
KINGSLEY, Henry B.— Breechloading pistol. Worked for Colt in 1865.
KINSEY — Newark, N. J. Over under, swivel-breech, percussion double rifle with one barrel smooth bored. Walnut stock with patch box and cheek piece.
KINSLEY, Adam — Bridgewater, Mass. Musket maker, in association with James Perkins contracted under Act of July 5, 1798, for 2,000 Charleville pattern (Model 1795) muskets at $13.40 per stand. There were 1,550 delivered by June 10, 1801. On Oct. 20, 1808, Adam Kinsley in association with French and Blake, (French, Blake & Kinsley) contracted for 4,000 Model 1808 muskets, duration 5 years. Of these 2,175 were delivered by Oct. 7, 1812
KINTNER, John Simon — Harrison County, Ind. Maker of rifles and shotguns late flintlock period. Born at Lancaster, Pa., about 1800, of Dutch parents.
Kintner, John Simon—Born near Lancaster, Penn a., about 1800. The Kintners were Hollanders coming from Rotterdam. John served an apprenticeship in one of the numerous gunshops in the vicinity and later moved westward to Harrison County, Indiana. Here he married and established to remain. A fine workman, he produced both rifles and shotguns. Active until 1851 or later.
KIRCHBERG, William M.— Philadelphia, Pa., 1840. Muzzle-loading, double-barrel, needle-fire, hammerless shotguns.
KIRCHMAN, E.— Danville, Pa., 1835.
KIRK— Unidentified, 1863.
KIRKMAN & ELLIS— Nashville, Tenn. Flintlock holster pistol similar to English Dragoon; flint rifle locks; percussion rifle.
KIRKMAN BROS.— Nashville, Tenn., 1835-1857. (Connected with Kirkman & Ellis?)
KIRKMAN, John— Ashville, Pa. Marking on a lock of a flintlock Kentucky rifle by "P. A."
KIRKWOOD, David— Boston, Mass., 1883-88.
Kirkwood, David—Mortimer & Kirkwood, Gunmakers, were active 1878 and before. David Kirkwood operated alone at 23 Elm Street, 1882-86. Sons continued at same address as Kirkwood Brothers, repairs only.
KIRSCHBAUM, E.— Danville, Pa., 1830.
Kirschman, E.—Gunmaker of Danville, Penna., 1835.
Kirtland Bros. Co. Inc.—90 Chambers St., New York. Advertised in 1933 as manufacturers of rifles and revolvers.
KITCHEN, Wheeler— Luzerne County, Pa.
KITTINGER, J.— Percussion rifles.
KITTINGER, L.— Unlocated. Halfstock, half-octagon barrel percussion rifle: "L. KITTINGER" engraved behind rear sight, on barrel.
KITTRIDGE & CO.— See B. Kittridge.
KITTRIDGE, B.— Main Street, Cincinnati, Ohio; active 1845-73. Listed as Eaton & Kittridge in 1851, and as B. Kittridge from 1859 to 1873. Rifles and accessories.
Kittridge, B.; Kittridge & Co.; Eaton & Kittridge—B. Kittridge established in Cincinnati in 1845.1851 Eaton & Kittridge employed ten hands and attained an annual production of “250 rifles, all with black walnut and maple stocks/ ’ The same year tfiey advertised as “the only agent in the West for the well- known Colt’s pistols and other arms.” First established at 236 Main Street, later moving to 134 Main. Partnership with Eaton dissolved in 1859 and B. Kittridge continued until 1891. Operated a branch at 55 Saint Charles Street, New Orleans, in, the 7o’s. Secured a patent on revolver, March 8, 1864, No. 41,848.
KLASE, Abner — Ringtown, Pa., in 1840; Quaker gunsmith. Long barreled by Kentucky rifles, stocked by his wife.
KLATTENHOFF, John— Colorado Springs, Col., 1878-80.
Klattenhoflf, John—Gunmaker of Colorado Springs, Colo., 1878-80, before and after.
KLEIN & CARR— 819 Market St., San Francisco, Calif. 1887. Klein believed to have made high grade air guns.
KLEIN, George — New York, N. Y., 1800. Engraved flintlock on ornate Kentucky rifle.
Klein, Philip—Gunmaker of New York, 1866-75.
KLEIN, Philip H.— Ave. C at 9th St., New York, N. Y., 1847-1908. Percussion and needle-fire rifles.
KLEINE, George— Philadelphia, Pa., 1808.
KLEINHENN, Emanuel— St. Louis, Mo., before and after 1860.
KLEIST, Daniel — Bethlehem Township, Easton Co., Pa., before and after 1785-86. Made arms for the Moravian Store, Bethlehem. Died in 1792.
Kleist, Daniel—Born Frankfort-on-Oder, Germany, 1716. lie established in Bethlehem, where he made rifles for the Moravian store. It is on record that Daniel Morgan halted his command of riflemen that Kleist could condition their arms. He is found on the tax return of Easton, Northampton County, 1785-86. Contemporary documents pronounce Kleist a fine workman. Died in 1792.
KLEPZIG & CO.— 212 Washington St., San Francisco, Calif., 1858-60; 763 Washington, 1861-65.
Klepzig & Co., J. C. E.—San Francisco, Calif., 1856-58. Produced double guns, rifles and derringers.
KLIEMEKEN, H.— Trinidad, Col., 1875.
Kliemeken, H.—Gunsmith of Trinidad, Colorado, 1870-75. Made complete arms.
KLINE, C. — Pennsylvania pistol maker, flintlock period.
KLING — Central Pennsylvania; percussion Kentucky rifles.
Klingelhofer, George—Brooklyn, N. Y. Made or assembled a few shotguns and rifles.
KNAPP — Pennsylvania, period of 1820. Fine flintlock Kentucky rifles.
KNIGHT, C. J. — Unlocated. Silver inlaid percussion Kentucky rifle with openwork patchbox.
KNIGHT, S. A.— Unidentified. Flintlock rifle.
KNOBLE, B. — Takoma, Wash. Experimental automatic pistols. One of cal. .45 tested by Army Board in 1907.
Knoble, W. B.—Tacoma, Washington. Inventor of the Knoble automatic pistol, tested by United States Board at Springfield in 1907.
Knowlton, W.—Riflemaker of Lee, Athens County, Ohio. Active 1849-54. A fine workman.
KNOXVILLE ARSENAL— Knoxville, Tenn. A Confederate plant en gaged prior to 1863 in the modification and rifling of miscel laneous arms to .58 caliber, for the use of troops.
KNUPP, C. Monroe — Bakersville, Somerset Co., Pa., gunsmith, about 1910.
KNUPP, Eli — Bakersville, Somerset Co., Pa., maker of percussion rifles.
KOCH, H. — Pennsylvania, about 1810. Maple full-stock flintlock Ken tucky rifle.
Koch, J. N.—Rock Island, 111. Produced sporting and heavy match rifles, active 1859-75, before and after.
KOCH, John— Rock Island, 111., 1851-1919. Born in Switzerland July 17, 1829. Finished arms apprenticeship in 1850 and emigrated to U. S. in 1851, to settle at Rock Island. Made rifles and repaired. Still worked some at the bench at age of 91.
KOCHLER, P. — Lewisburg, Pa. Superposed barrel percussion Ken tucky rifles.
KOEHLER, Gus — See Hans F. Koehler.
KOEHLER, Hans Frederick— 20 York St., Newport, Ky. Born in Duchy of Saxony, Germany, 1833, where he learned the trade. Emigrated to U. S. in 1860. After working for B. Kittridge and for Bandle Gun Co., in Cincinnati, Ohio, established his own business, which, after his death in 1880 was carried on by his son Gus.
KOEKLER — Cairo, 111. Heavy percussion target rifle.
KOHL, Conrad — Wyomissing Creek, Pa. Built a gun shop in 1851. Retired about 1862, and the shop changed into a saw mill.
Kohl, Conrad—Built a gunshop in Reading, Berks County, Pa., in 1851. Active 1859 and after.
Kolb, H. M.—Revolver manufacturer, 2311 N. 16th St., Philadelphia. Produced “Baby” and “New Baby” revolvers. Established 1897 and succeeded by R. F. Sedgley at the same address to date.
KOLB, Henry M.— Philadelphia, Pa., before and after 1910. Maker of rim-fire 6-shot .22 cal. revolvers, "Baby Hammerless." Busi ness taken over by R. F. Sedgeley about 1930.
KOONS, Frank— Berks County, Pa. Kentucky rifles.
KOONS, Fred A.— Berks Co., Pa. Flintlock Kentucky rifle.
KOONS, H.— Unidentified. Flintlock Kentucky rifles, circa 1775.
KOONS, Isaia — Adamsburg or Adamstown, Pa. Kentucky rifles.
KOONTZ, A. — Pennsylvania. Good Kentucky rifles. See A. Kunts.
KOONTZ, J. — Pennsylvania. Fine craftsman; Kentucky rifles. Per haps same as J. Kunz or Kuntz, Philadelphia, Pa. Cf. also Joseph Coons, Philadelphia.
KOPP, Andrew — York County, Penna. Maker of a relief carved per cussion Kentucky rifle of fine workmanship.
KOPP, G.— Pennsylvania. Flintlock Kentucky rifle.
KOPP, J. — Unlocated. Late percussion Kentucky rifles.
KOPPICUS, Adolph— One of the first Sacramento, Calif., gunsmiths. Made fine, half stock, percussion rifles including heavy .45's and .50's. Also reputed to have worked in San Francisco and (?) Placerville. Listed in Sacramento City Directories 1853-54 to 1875. Born in Germany in 1809. Died in San Francisco, Calif., June 28, 1882, at the age of 73. Buried in Sacramento City Cemetery, lot 435. The Directory of 1856 shows that he was mar ried and had seven children.
KOR, C. — Unlocated. Flintlock Kentucky rifles.
KORNMAN, A. D. — Central Pennsylvania. Early percussion Ken tucky rifles.
KOUGHL, B. J. — Huntingdon County, Penna. Fullstock percussion Kentucky rifles. Fine workmanship, inlays and engraving.
KRAFT, Jacob — Lancaster Borough, Lancaster Co., Pa., 1773-82.
Kraft, Jacob—Gunsmith of Lancaster Borough, Lancaster County, Pa., 1771-82.
KRAFT, P. W.— Columbia, S. C, 1840. Cased pairs, duelling pistols. Also halfstock percussion rifles.
Krag-Jorgensen Rifle—U. S. Model 1892, the joint design of Capt. O. Krag, Director of the Royal Arms Factory at Kongsberg, Norway, and E. Jorgensen of the same city. In use in United States service 1894-1903, being produced at Springfield Armory as both rifles and carbines.
KRAMMER — Pennsylvania. Percussion rifles.
KRETZEL, A.— St. Louis, Mo., and Jerseyville, 111., 1857. Percussion fowling piece and percussion pistol.
Kreutner, C.—Gunmaker of Montgomery, Ala., before and after 1869-75.
KREUTNER, Christian — Operator of a small gun factory employing ten or twelve men at 14 North Perry St., near Dexter (now site of Hotel Arlington), Montgomery, Alabama, from about 1848 until 1884. Born Oct. 14, 1819, at Balingen, Grand Duchy of Baden, Germany. He lost his father at age of two, was raised by an uncle, and was apprenticed to the gun making trade. After finishing his apprenticeship, he went to Besancon, France to learn the finer points of the trade. There at 21, he was notified that he was up for draft for the German army and advised by his uncle to "go west." In 1840 he left France for U. S. via Marceilles to New Orleans and up to Cincinnati. There he met and married Katherine Herbst. In 1846 with his wife and two children he went south, via Memphis, where they stayed ten months, to Montgomery, Alabama, where he settled and worked until his death Oct. 9, 1884. He gained a fine reputation for honesty and fine and hand some arms, including a special three-barrel breech-loader made for David Crawford, State Treasurer. During the Civil War he served as captain at the Montgomery Arsenal with duty of making and repairing Confederate and captured arms in his shop. Between 1 October 1863 and 1 November 1864 Christian Kreutner furnished 36 Mississippi rifles (M. 1841) to the State of Alabama. Probabilities are more were furnished, but no records available.
KRICHBAUM, E.— Danville, Pa., 1830.
KRICK, Isaac — Wyomissing Creek, Berks Co., Pa. Made finished rifle barrels.
KRIDER, John— Upper Salford Township, Philadelphia Co., Pa., 1769.
KRIDER, John H.— Second and Walnut Streets, Philadelphia, Pa., in 1826. Active about 1820-70. Made brass mounted long arms similar to the Model 1841 rifles, and percussion derringers.
Krider, John H.—Philadelphia, Pa. Began about 1820 and found at the corner of Second and Walnut Streets in 1826 and continued in the same place i860 or later. Exhibited guns and pistols at International Exhibition in 1876.
KRINKLE— Philadelphia, Pa., 1810-14. Musket maker. (Same as Kunkle?)
KRUEGER, H.— 10 South 2nd St., Minneapolis, Minn., 1877-80.
Krueger, H.—Gunmaker at 10 South Second St., Minneapolis, Minn., 1877-80.
KRUMM— Mt. Union, Pa. Kentucky rifles.
KRYTER, Charles A.— 115 Market St., Wheeling, W. Va., 1874-76.
Kryter, Charles A.—Produced or assembled a few shotguns, 115 Market St., Wheeling. W. Va., 1872-76.
KUGLER, A.— Kingston, N. Y. Early air rifle.
KUHN, Wm. —W. Main St., Mt. Joy Borough, Lancaster, Pa., 1869 1870.
KUHNS, D. — On barrel of converted flintlock Kentucky rifle. Possibly same as Daniel Kuntz.
KUNKLE— Philadelphia, Pa., musket maker, 1810-14. Offered to sup ply the Committee of Defense of Philadelphia with 3,000 muskets, Aug. 30, 1814, at $14.50 each.
Kunkle—Gunsmith of Philadelphia, 1810-14. • Offered 3,000 muskets of his make to Committee of Defense on August 30, 1814. These arms bore his name upon the lockplate and were offered at $14.50 each.
KUNTS, A.— Straight-cut flintlock Kentucky rifle with barrel by J. Worly. Probably same as A. Koontz.
KUNTZ, Daniel— Philadelphia, Pa.; Kentucky rifles. See D. Kuhns.
KUNZ, J.— Also I. Kunz; also Kuntz. Philadelphia, Pa. Flintlock rifles and pistols.
Kunz, J.—Produced flintlock rifles and pistols at Philadelphia, Pa., about 1840.
KUNZ, Jacob — Philadelphia, Pa. Also I. Kunz and Kuntz. Listed as gunsmith on Germantown Road above Green, in 1819-29. Flint lock rifles and pistols.
KUNZ, P. — Pennsylvania. Revolutionary War period.
KUSSMAUL, William J.— Baltimore, Md., 1860.
KYNOCH GUN FACTORY— Aston (?). Makers of a bolt action musket marked "Kynoch's patent."