Unidentified. Late period flintlock Kentucky rifle with lock by Henry Parker.
D. C. & CO.
Cincinnati, Ohio. Percussion rifle locks.
Barrel marking of a flintlock Kentucky rifle of about 1800.
D. G. & CO.
Cincinnati, Ohio, percussion period.
Unidentified. Flintlock Kentucky rifle, stock finely inlaid with ivory, silver, and brass; forestock in two sections.
D. L. G.
Initials of D. Le Gro, U. S. Inspector of Arms within years 1831-1850.
Initials of Daniel Pettibone, U. S. Inspector of Arms, 1808 1809.
Initials stamped inside the lock plate and under barrel of a fine Penna. type, relief carved, flintlock Kentucky rifle circa1800
Initials of Lieut. Daniel Tyler, Ordnance Dept. U. S. Army, Chief Inspector of arms made at National Armories after 1831. Had been stock inspector in plant of Nathan Starr.
DADE & REYNOLDS
Mobile, Ala. Flintlock match rifles.
Dahlgreny John A.
Born November 13, 1809, native of Philadelphia. Entered the navy in 1826 and commissioned a captain in July of 1862. Appointed Chief of the Rureau of Ordnance the same year but promoted to Rear Admiral and assigned to duty with the fleet in 1863. Remained with the fleet until 1868 when he was again appointed Chief of Ordnance. Took charge of the Washington Navy Yard in 1869 and died in that city on July 12, 1870. He was the inventor of the Dahlgren cannon and howitzer and the Dahlgren bayonet for navy rifles. One peculiarity of Dabl- gren ordnance consists in having relatively less metal in front of the trunions and more behind than had heretofore been customary.
Brothers Enoch, Alexander and James. Millsboro, Washing ton Co., Pa. Percussion rifles with silver alloy sights.
Dalby, H. C .
Riflemaker of Berlin, Holmes County, Ohio, 1859-66.
Marking inside lock of undated Springfield musket. (Made in 1795-1798?)
Armorer, Springfield Armory, 1817. (Same as above?)
Unidentified. Kentucky rifle dated 1840.
A Committee of Safety musket maker of Hartford County, Maryland. Richard Dallam to Maryland Council of Safety, July 16, 1776. Sir:In answer to yours of the 10th instant, which I received yesterday, I inform you that I have twenty-two muskets finished complete, and fifteen more ready for stocking, six of which will be finished this week. Harvest, and sickness of two of my best hands and the bursting of twelve or thirteen of my barrels, in my absence, have disappointed my expectations. Twelve of the guns finished have been proved with two ounces of powder and one ball. The remainder with one ounce powder and ball. Richard Dallam. P. S. I have not the least doubt but that my arms will please and be found as good as any made in Maryland. R. D. (No. 363, Voi. I, 5th Series, American Archives.)
Hartford Town, Md., 1775-76. Musket maker to Committee of Safety.
DANA & CO.
Marking on a fine quality, engraved percussion lock of a percussion match rifle by James & Ferris, Utica, N. Y.
Unlocated. Pin-fastened barrel, flintlock musket.
Or possibly J. Canton, Mass. Flintlock, Kentucky type, match rifle, full curly maple stock. Flintlock fowling piece.
DANCE BROS. & PARKS
Makers of revolvers in imitation of Colts, for the Confederacy. The firm consisted of James, David and George Dance, of Nash County, North Carolina and later of Bells Landing, Texas. The arms were made in a shop on Brazos River, near Marion, in 1863-64, where the plant foundations and the Dance home are still to be seen. In 1864-65, the plant is reputed to have been moved to Anderson, Texas. Dance revolvers, identified by the absence of a recoil shield, were produced in .44 dragoon and .36 caliber Navy sizes. Number 324 is the highest serial number known. The relationship of Parks to the firm is unknown.
Dance Brother & Park
Columbia and Anderson, Texas. Produced revolvers for the Confederate government, 1863-64. These arms are close imitations of the Colt dragoon. Weight y/ lbs., 6 shot, length 14 inches with 8-inch round barrel ; brass back strap. Made about 500.
Unlocated. Late flintlock and early percussion Ken tucky rifles of North Central Penna. style, circa 1840-50.
"A. D." Lancaster, Pa. Late flintlock and early per cussion Kentucky rifles. Initials "A. D." marked on a boy's brass and silver mounted, percussion Kentucky rifle.
DANINGERFIELD, L. H.
West Virginia; very heavy match Ken tucky rifle.
Danne, John W.
Gunmaker of Mobile. Ala., T865-75.
DANNE, John W.
Mobile, Ala., 1860-68.
Born in York County, Penna., T795. His family moved into Center County, Pennsylvania, and thence to Canton, Ohio, in 1816. After serving his apprenticeship he built a house and gunsmith shop at the comer of Wells and Tuscarawas Streets in 1821. Prospering in business, he purchased a piece of land outside the corporation limits of the village from Bczalccl Wells, the proprietor of Canton. This he used as a proving and sight testing ground. His specialty was rifles and he produced a number of pistols also. Died in 1844. (Pg. 188, “Old Landmarks of Canton and Stark County/ ’ Danner, Indianapolis, 1904.)
Canton, Stark Co., Ohio, 1818 or earlier.
Settled in Cincinnati, Ohio, in 1800, the first gunsmith to locate here. Doubtful as to complete anus though the writer has encountered mention of a Muskingum hunter traveling down the Ohio below Cincinnati in 1805 being armed with a Dan- seth rifle. (Pg. 65, “History of Cincinnati and Hamilton County, Ohio,” Nelson, 1890.)
DANTZ, H. A.
New Haven, Conn., 1874-76.
Darling, Barton & Benj. M.
Pistol makers of Bellingham, Mass., and Woonsocket, R. I. Patented the Darling pepperbox pistol April 13, 1836. Darling pistols are found with the following marks: 2 barrel,markedH;AIS. 4 barrel,markedATS;IEH. 6 barrel,markedAIS;IEH;JENGh. These were probablymade by journeymenby arrangement with the Darlings.
DARLING, Barton & Benjamin M.
Bellingham, Mass., and Woon socket, R. I., Patentee, April 13, 1836, and makers of the Darling pepperbox percussion pistols. Markings: H, A.C.S., AIS, IEH, or JENGh. Also made single and double barrel pistols that closely resembled the pepperboxes.
DARLING, W. K. & HARRIS, C. H.
Otsego, Mich. Percussion mule ear, over-under rifle.
DARROW, L. F.
Mayville, N. Y. Heavy halfstock percussion target rifle with Golcher lock.
Berks County, Pa., flintlock period.
Davenport, W. H., Davenport Arms Co.
Norwich, Conn. Produced rifles and shotguns, active 1855-1910.
DAVENPORT, W. H., FIRE ARMS CO.
Norwich, Conn., about 1880-1910. Single shot rifles. The Davenport Arms Co. was or ganized in May, 1880, with a capital of $25,000, for the purpose of manufacturing firearms under patents owned by William H. Davenport. The officers were M. S. Taft, president, J. W. Coffin, treasurer, and W. H. Davenport, superintendent. Operations were begun at 79 and 81 Orange street, the company occupied four floor of a building 30 x 70 feet in size, and employed about 40 men in the various departments of its work.
DAVIDSON, T. & CO.
Cincinnati, Ohio, 1850-53. Made gunlocks. Operated by Tyler Davidson.
Bouckville, N. Y., and Solsville, N. Y., percussion period.
DAVIS & BOZEMAN
Henry J. Davis and David W. Bozeman, rifle contractors to the Confederacy. Located three miles west of Central and 12 miles north of Wetumpka, Alabama. Made for the State of Alabama between 1st October 1863 and 1st November 1864, a total of 882 Mississippi rifles (M.1841) and 89 carbines. Specimen known marked "D and B Ala 1864." After the war the shop was used by Davis to manufacture machines to thrash grain and cotton gins.
Davis & Co-, N, R.
Established 1853. Combined about 1917 with the Warner Arms Corporation of Norwich, Connecticut, and became the Davis-Warner Arms Corporation. Davis established at As- sonett, Mass. Discontinued about 1920-22 but was revived about 1930 as part of the Crescent-Davis Arms Corporation, Norwich, which included the Crescent Firearms Company also. Did not remain in Norwich long, the present address of the Crescent-Davis Corporation is Box 282, Springfield, Mass.
DAVIS & COSAT
Perrysville, Ind., percussion rifle.
Deposit, N. Y. Over-under, flintlock, swivel Kentucky rifle.
DAVIS, A. R.
Deposit, N. Y., percussion period. Son of Davis A.?
DAVIS, BRUCE & DAVIS
Webster, Mass., percussion rifle.
DAVIS, C. A.
Holcollville, Pa., percussion period.
DAVIS, E. L.
Hinckley, 111. Percussion rifles.
DAVIS, Henry J.
See Davis & Bozeman.
Revolutionary War period gunsmith of Acton, Mass. Was Captain of the Acton Militia Company which led the American charge at Concord Bridge April 19, 1775. Davis, lead ing the company, was killed by the first British volley. Believed to have been 30 or 32 years old at the time.
DAVIS, J. N.
New Paris, Pa. Percussion period.
DAVIS, J. S.
Indiana. Percussion Kentucky rifle with full curly maple stock.
Employed as musket barrel maker by O. & E. Evans in 1810.
DAVIS, N. R. & SONS
Assonet, Freetown, Mass., established 1853. Makers of percussion shotguns and rifles.
Nevada City, Calif., about 1850; dealer and gunsmith.
Davis-Warner Arms Co.-
Assonet, Mass. Incorporated in 1917 after the merger of N. R. Davis & Sons, Assonet, Mass., and Warner Arms Corp., Norwich, Conn. Moved to Norwich in 1919. About 1930 the Davis-Warner Arms Corp. merged with the Crescent Arms Co., Norwich, Conn., to form the Crescent-Davis Arms Corporation which was subsequently taken over by Stevens Arms in 1932.
DAVIS-WARNER ARMS CORPORATION
Assonet, Mass. "Infallible" hammerless .32 automatic pistols. Davis of the firm is probably R. N. Davis of Assonet.
Unidentified. Percussion, under-hammer cane gun.
DAY, J. C.
Unlocated. About 1855. Percussion breech-loading self capping rifle.
Louisville, Ky. In 1843 at Joseph Griffith's shop, on Market between 5th and 6th. 1845-46 at 52 Fifth St. 18-? 8 ri Griffith's shop, 294 Green St. 1848-49, with J. Griffith, Walnut St., between Campbell and Wentzel. 1855-60, corner Brook and Market. 1865-67, Gun Store at 31 E. Market. 1869 and 1873, James Day & Co., guns, rifles, pistols. In sporting goods business until about 1890.
Boulder, Col., 1875-80.
Riflemaker of New York City. Active 1831-37.
De Haven, Hugh
A Committee of Safety musket maker of Philadelphia. Appointed assistant to Peter De Haven, Superintendent of the factory at French Creek, April 8, 1777. Active 1775-79. (“Minutes of the Board of War, March 14, 1777-August 7, 1777, Pennsylvania Archives, 2nd Series, Vol. III.)
De Haven, Peter
Gunsmith of Philadelphia, r773-90. Appointed Superintendent of the State Gun-lock Factory, French Creek, in the fall of 1776. Though this factory is spoken of as a gun-lock manufactory complete arms were later produced here. Established by authority of the Council of Safety’s resolution of March 6, 1776. The activities of the British forces occupying Philadelphia caused Dc Haven some apprehension. On September 10, 1777, he addressed a letter to George Bryan, president of the executive council, in which he stated “Wee have got sum information that there is Part of Mr. Hows (Howe) army within four miles of Downins Town & T believe they intend for our magazene and wee are in a very poor Situation for defending it. 1 should be very glad if you would send a proper Guard for this place.” The factory was subsequently moved to Hummelstown for safety. The British forces evacuated Philadelphia on June t8, 1778 and on July 7 2th following, De Haven wrote for permission to return the factory to French Creek or Philadelphia. Tti the fall of 1778 Council considered dosing the arms factory whereupon Peter De Haven, Hugh De Haven and Benjamin Rittenhouse offered to take over on a co-partnership. Their proposal was rejected and the assets ordered sold. This was accordingly accomplished in the spring of 1779. (Pg- 5°6, Vol. XI, Minutes of the Provincial Council, Penna., Harrisburg, 1852. Pg. 607, Vol. V, Colonial Records of Pennsylvania.)
De Moulin Brothers & Co.
Swordsmiths of Greenville, 111., 1892 to date.
Riflemaker of Wapakoneta, Auglaize County, Ohio, 1848-54.
Ithaca, N. Y., percussion over-and-under rifles and mule-ear rifles.
Gunsmith of Philadelphia, 1769-74.
Also Debarrier. Mulberry Ward, Philadelphia, Pa., 1769-74.
Established about 1852 at Boothsville, W. Va. Shop burned and he moved to Mt. Morris, Green Co., Pa. Later moved to Mapletown and became associated with Barney Engle, whose apprentice he may have been. Continued making fine rifles after Engle's death until the breech-loading era.
Also spelled Decherd, Dechert, Dickert, Deschard, Deckert and Digert. Philadelphia, 1732; Lancaster, Pa., before and after 1753, Lancaster County, 1777-82.
Kentucky rifles. Mentioned in History of Lan caster, Pa., as gun-maker "with 40 years experience" in the year of 1795. Same as Dechard, Jacob or same family? Possibly identical with Dickert, Jacob, musket maker to State of Penn sylvania.
DEEDS, H. W.
Reading, Penna. Maker of heavy barrel .80 caliber flintlock goose gun.
Wyomissing Creek, Berks Co., Pa. Made finished rifle barrels.
Pennsylvania. Kentucky rifles and smooth-bores.
Southern Bedford Co., Pa. Son of William, brother of Milton.
Bedford, Pa., 1871.
Everett Borough, Bedford Co., Pa., 1860. Son of William, brother of Dave.
Monroe Township, Bedford Co., Pa., 1850.
Also Dehaven. Assistant to Peter De Haven, Superintendent of the State Gun Factory at French Creek, Pa., 1776-77.
Also Dehaven. Before and after 1769-79. With Benjamin Rittenhouse established the State Gun-lock Factory at Philadelphia for the State of Pennsylvania. Later the factory was expanded to include gun manufacture. About Dec. 12, 1776, on the approach of the British to Trenton, the shops were moved to French Creek, Chester Co., near Valley Forge, and later again to Hummelstown. The State Gun Factory was dis continued in December, 1778, and Peter DeHaven applied for the position of Wagon Master in January, 1779, in view of the loss of his position at the factory. He was appointed Health Officer for the Port of Philadelphia on March 12, 1779. See Pennsylvania State Gun Factory. Four brothers of the DeHaven family, Jacob, Samuel, Edward and Peter, emigrated from France to America in the first part of the 18th Century, and settled in Pennsylvania, in Montgomery and Chester Counties, where they bought land for vineyards, tanneries and "plants for making muskets." Among the purchases was a tract of land on which the Village of Centre Square was laid out, which had been sold by Rees Thomas and Anthony Morris to Peter de Haven, in 1730. In view of the passage of years, probabilities are that Peter de Haven, the superintendent of the State Gun-lock Factory was the son of one of the DeHaven brothers.
Lancaster Borough, Lancaster Co., Pa., 1779.
Riflemaker of Lancaster, Penna., 1802.
Also Dehulf. Lancaster, Pa., musket maker. Con tracted with the State of Pennsylvania for 500 Charleville pat tern muskets on April 17, 1801. Petitioner to the 7th Congress on Jan. 28, 1803, for the non-removal of import duties on arms. In association with Peter Brong and Abraham Henry proposed July 13, 1801, to furnish the State of Virginia with 7,075 stands of arms at $11.00 per stand and 1,000 pair of pistols at $15.00 per pair, delivery at Lancaster in three years. No record of the contract being awarded. On Dec. 9, 1807, DeHuff, in association with Jacob Dickert and Peter Gonter, contracted with Tench Coxe, Purveyor of Public Supplies for 600 rifles.
Sussex Co., N. J. Over-under percussion rifles.
Reading, Berks Co., Pa, about 1845-72. Half stock percussion hunting rifle.
Rifle and gun maker of Reading, Berks County, Penna. Established along Wyomissing Creek about 1845 and active until 1872.
Lancaster, Pa., 1857.
Parishville, N. Y.; percussion rifles.
Gill, Mass. Heavy percussion match rifle.
Unlocated. Cherry full-stock, octagonal barrel, flint lock Kentucky rifle.
DEMOPOLIS CONFEDERATE ARSENAL
Demopolis, Ala., 1863 "an arsenal where they make a great many small-arms." Equip ment reported Feb. 16, 1864, to have been moved to the Con federate States Armory at Columbus, Ga.
Zanesville, Muskegum Co, Ohio.
Pennsylvania. Over-under, flintlock and percussion Kentucky type, swivel breech rifles of fine workmanship. Flint lock rifle marked "DEMUTH*".
Haverhill, Mass, percussion period.
DENSLANS (or Denslars), R.
Unlocated. Half stock percussion Plains rifle, brass and German silver mounted; Remington barrel, converted H. & W. Aston lock.
DENSLOW & CHASE
Hartford, Conn, about 1847. (Slate & Brown Shop.) Made 1,000 barrels and cylinders for Model 1847, Whitney ville Colt revolvers on sub-contract.
DEPREZ, J. M. & CO.
Unidentified 5-shot cartridge revolver.
Lancaster, Pa, before and after 1773-77. Ken tucky rifles and muskets to Committee of Safety. Excused by the Executive Council from performance of military duties Dec. 5, 1777, for the making of arms for the State of Pennsylvania, in the employ and under direction of William Henry I.
A Committee of Safety musket maker at Lancaster, Pennsylvania. Active 1773-76.
Son of Henry Deringer, Sr, Colonial gunsmith, maker of Kentucky rifles. Young Henry was born Oct. 26, 1786, at Easton, Pa, and as a youth was apprenticed to a firearm maker at Richmond, Va, where he made rifles and other firearms, until he settled in Philadelphia in 1806, and established an arms manu facturing plant of his own. He is known to have made martial pistols of 1808 pattern and later obtained the following contracts in addition to a con tract of July 23, 1819, the details of which are not available: March 17, 1814? Model 1814 rifles. April 3, 1821-2,000 rifles at $15.50 each Aug. 28, 1823-3,000 rifles at $14.50 each. December, 1828 - 600 "old pattern" rifles, ("common rifles," Model 1817), later changed to 400 muskets. Nov. 7, 1837-2,500 rifles for Indians at $13.50 each. March 7, 1840 - 6,000 rifles at $14.50 each. Delivery over 5 years. The Deringer Armory also made Navy box-lock Model 1843 pistols and later became well known for the small percussion pistols manufactured by the firm, one of which was used by Booth to assassinate Lincoln. The factory was located for many years on Front Street in Philadelphia. In 1819 Henry Deringer is listed at 370 N. Front. Deringer was content with the percussion system and stub bornly refused to manufacture breech-loaders, which he despised. He died in 1868, and not many years after his death his factory went out of existence.
Deringer, Henry Sr. and Jr.
The elder Deringer was active at Richmond, Virginia and later at Philadelphia. First mentioned as of the year 1785 and the length of his active participation in the business is not known. He was, however, active until 1814 as the government contract of that date was signed by him. The younger Deringer was born 1786, died 1868. During the 20’s and 30’s the Deringer factory at Philadelphia was one of the most important in the country. It might be well to note in passing a recent "tempest in a teapot” as to the proper spelling of the name Deringer. Some authorities hold that but two rs are correct, while others spell the name with three, thus Derringer. The writer notes that the name is frequently spelled with the double-r on the earlier government contracts. Some idea of the scope of the Deringer business can be gained from the following government contracts and purchases: March17,1814,2000rifles,at $15.00 April3,1821,2000 rifles,at 15.50 August28,1823,3000rifles,at 14-50 December,1828, 600 Hall’sbreech-loaders. This was later changed to ordinary muskets. March 24,1831,500 rifles,“Indianguns”$6,250.00/ December 5,1831,240rifles,“Indianguns”....3,136.00/ July23,1832,500rifles,“Indianguns”6,531.00/ July23,1S32,25rifles,“Indianguns”325.37/ October25,1832,25rifles,“Indianguns”....312.50/ AMERICAN ARMS AND ARMS MAKERS/ 43/ January;8,;1833,;500 rifles, “Indian guns’'/ April;18,;1833,;500 rifles, “Indian guns”. .. . “Guns for the Indians at $8.00,/ January;>;’839.;/ ;;;to be delivered when;;;wanted, to Shuykill Arsenal.”/ March;7.;1840,;6000 model 1819 muskets with/ oval patch-box, at $14.50 deliveries within 5 years.
DERINGER, Henry, Sr.
Richmond, Va. 17- to 1806, then Phila delphia, Pa. Colonial gunsmith of German descent, maker of Kentucky rifles. Father of Henry Deringer. Listed in Frankford Township, Philadelphia Co, in 1769.
Phila., Pa. Imitation Deringer derringer pistols al leged to have been made by former employees of Henry Deringer to order of A. J. Plate of San Francisco, Calif., Deringer agent, who was unable to receive adequate stocks of genuine Deringer arms.
Riflemaker of Lancaster, Penna., 1810-28. Barrel maker until 1844.
Lancaster and Oley Valley, Berks Co., Pa., 1810-1831. Extensive maker of flintlock and early percussion Kentucky rifles and rifled Kentucky pistols; a flintlock rifle dated 1831.
Charleston, S. C. Maker of a double barrel, flintlock shotgun of plain but fine workmanship. Top of left barrel marked in gold inlay "DESVERNEYS CHARLESTON." Under breech appears "AMERICA FRISE" . . . and fleur-de-lys; also "FEPEIOFF TORDU" and "P-I." The locks are marked outside "DESVERNEYS" in script and inside "P-I." Though American made, shows strong French influence.
Committee of Safety musket maker of Lancaster County, Pennsylvania, 1775-76.
Lancaster County, Pa., 1774-77. Musket maker to Committee of Safety. Excused by the Executive Council Dec. 5, 1777, from military duties, for the making of arms for the State of Pennsylvania, in the employ and under direction of William Henry I.
DETROIT RIFLE CO.
See Heal Rifle Co.
Woodbury Township, Bedford Co., Pa., 1870.
Bellville, Pa. Late Kentucky rifles.
Rifle and musket maker of New Hanover County, Carolina. Bom August 1, 1757. Served as a Minute Man in 1775. On the first day of June, 1776, he entered the State Gun Works in • the upper part of New Hanover County, near Black River. Remained on this assignment twelve months. Re-entered the army and was later commissioned captain. Following the Revolution he re-engaged in gunsmithing. Still living October 31, 1832.
New Hanover County, N. C. Served the State as arms maker for one year from June, 1776, then re-entered the military service. Born Aug. 1, 1757, active until 1832.
Gunsmith of the District of Wilmington, North Carolina. With Richard Herring, established a public gun factory here in 1776. (This factory was authorized by Act of April 24, 1776.) After considerable difficulty in getting organized they finally got into production and delivered one hundred muskets, three rifles and six “smooth guns/ ’ A report dated December 5, 1788, states that the plant had been sacked and destroyed by Tories. (Pg. 169, Vol. XXT, State Records of North Carolina, Clark, Goldsboro, 1903. Pgs. 539-540, Vol. X, Colonial Records of North Carolina, Saunders, N. D.)
Also DeVane. With Richard Herring established a Public Gun Factory authorized by Act of April 24, 1776, in the Wilmington District, North Carolina. After production of some one hundred long arms the factory was destroyed by Tory sympathizers.
Maker of a half stock plains or Indian rifle of in different quality. Barrel stamped "F. DEVAUX" and held to stock only by the ramrod and a wood screw at tang. Lock marked "LEMAN LANCTR. PA."
Cedarville, N. Y., percussion target rifles.
Boston, Mass., 1847.
Amber, N. Y. Percussion rifles and rifle scopes, (Also made clocks and musical instruments.)
Committee of Safety gunsmith. Active 1775-76 producing musket barrels and bayonets.
Hebron, Conn., 1775-76, musket-barrel and bayonet maker to Committee of Safety. Petitioned for payment for 46 gun barrels 21 bayonets made to May 15, 1776.
DEWITT, D. G.
Elmira, N. Y. Maker of a half stock, brass trim per cussion smooth bore, sporting gun.
DEWITT, W. P.
Elmira, N. Y., percussion period. Over-under rifle shotguns.
DICK, Major Charles
With Col. Fielding Lewis, operator of an Arsenal at Fredericksburg, Va., for the manufacture of small arms to equip Continental Line regiments raised in Virginia. Fielding Lewis and Charles Dick were appointed Commissioners to build and operate the Government Gun Factory of the Com monwealth of Virginia, by the Second Virginia Revolutionary Convention Commissioners, in July 1775.
Phila., Pa. Listed as gunsmith at Lilley Alley, in 1829.
Phila., Pa. Listed as gunsmith at 31 New Market, in 1829.
Russell Co., Va. Flintlock Kentucky rifles. His slave succeeded him in business.
Unknown, 1886. Hammerless single barrel shotgun.
Lancaster Borough, Lancaster Co., Pa., 1779-1803. Musket maker; in association with Mathew Llewellin, contracted on April 17, 1801, with the State of Pennsylvania for 1,000 Charleville pattern (Model 1795) muskets. One of the petitioners to the 7th Congress, on Jan. 28, 1803, for non-removal of import duties on arms. Jacob Dickert in association with Peter Gonter and John Groff, contracted for "rifle guns" in 1792, $3,200.00 being paid on account. On Dec. 9, 1807, Jacob Dickert in association with Peter Gonter and Henry DeHuff, contracted with Tench Coxe, Purveyor of Public Supplies, for 600 rifles.
Erie, Pa., active as late as 1900; Negro gunsmith.
DICKINSON, E. L.
Springfield, Mass. Rim fire revolvers. (Connected with J. & L. Dickinson?)
DICKINSON, J. & L.
Springfield, Mass. Rim-fire pistols and Sterling Bull Dog revolvers.
DICKSON, M. & GILMORE, J.
Louisville, Ky., 1840's and 1850's. Moses Dickson. Percussion Kentucky rifles.
DICKSON, NELSON & CO.
Makers of Confederate shoulder arms, 1862-65. Made Mississippi type (Model 1841) rifles and muzzle loading carbines. Furnished the State of Alabama 645 Mississippi rifles between Oct. 1, 1863 and Nov. 1, 1864. Also known as Shakanoosa Arms Mfg. Co. The firm consisted of Owen O. Nelson, Tuscumbia, Ala., attorney, then Judge for Court of Common Pleas; William Dickson, planter and extensive land owner in Tennessee Valley, Ala., and Dr. Lewis Sadler of Leighton, Ala., an elderly physician who furnished considerable financial aid. The plant was originally located at west end of Tennessee Valley, at Dickson, Ala., about twenty miles west of Tuscumbria, on the Memphis, Charleston R.R. (now Southern). After fall of Ft. Henry and gain of control of Tennessee River by Union forces, the plant was moved for greater safety to Rome, Ga., thence to Adairsville, Ga., and finally in 1863 to Dawson, Terrill County, Ga., where it operated until the end of the War. The shops, foundry and other buildings of the plant at Dawson occupied 27 acres on the Central of Georgia R.R. Some work was done by sub-contractors, one of whom had a machine shop at Hopwell, Ark., opposite Memphis. After the War, in 1866, Judge Nelson and his associates acquired the properties of the firm and under the name of Dawson Manufacturing Company went into manufacture of builders supplies and passenger and freight railroad cars. In 1885 the property was sold to Dawson Works. In 1929 one of the warehouses still had a good many of the unfinished walnut gun stocks, leftovers from arms manufacturing period.
See Dickson, Nelson & Co.
German style, target rifle marked "R. DIEMAR TAUNTON" on barrel and "R. DIEMAR" on lock.
Taunton, Mass. Maker of a light weight, muzzle load ing, percussion, target rifle. Marked "I. DIEMER" on lock.
(Probably same as Dieschbach or Disbock, prob ably also Dresbach). Flintlock Kentucky rifles.
Philadelphia, Pa. Full maple stock muzzle loading per cussion rifle marked on barrel "DIESINGER PHILADA." Lock marked "SOWERS & SMITH WARRANTED."
Pennsylvania, Kentucky rifles.
DIETTRICH, J. F.
St. Louis, Mo., 1840-60. Famous maker of Buffalo rifles.
DIFFENDERFER, John and Michael
Earl Township, Lancaster Co., Pa., 1779.
Cedarville, N. Y. Late Kentucky rifles.
Committee of Safety musket maker at Bridgewater, Mass. Active 1775-/ 6. Dickert, Jacob; Rifle maker of Lancaster, Pcnna. Active 1771-1803. Worked as a repairman on public arms during the Revolution. (Many references, Tax Lists, 3rd Series, Penna. Archives, 1771- 82. Heads of Families, Penna., 1790. Pg. 1282, Annals of Congress, 1803.)
Bridgewater, Mass., Revolutionary War period.
Bedford Borough, Bedford Co., Pa., 1844.
DIMICK & FOLSOM
See H. E. Dimick.
DIMICK, H. E.
Born in Vermont. Established in St. Louis, Mo., in 1849, at 42 North Main Street. Became associated with H. Folsom, the firm becoming Dimick & Folsom. Later changed again to H. E. Dimick & Co. Active 1849-73, died in August, 1874. Percussion derringers. Percussion revolvers bearing his name were manu factured for him. Probably by Manhattan Firearms Co.
Dimick, H. E., Dimick & Folsom, Dimick & Co.
Horace E. Dimick. Born in Vermont, moving westward to Covington, Kentucky, thence to St. Louis, Missouri, where he established in 1849. Became associated with H. Folsom as Dimick & Folsom, 42 North Main St. In the late fifty's known as H. E. Dimick & Co. Employed about 25 hands. Died at St. Louis, August 29-30, 1874. Patented a method of rifling, January 13, 1857, No. 16377.
South Fork, near Johnstown, Penna. Full stock per cussion rifle.
Easton, Pa. Curly maple, fullstock, flintlock Kentucky rifles.
Gunsmith. 404 No. Third, Phila., Pa. 1819.
Pennsylvania, Kentucky rifles.
New York, N. Y., percussion period.
Disston & Sons, Henry
Noted tool manufacturers of Philadelphia. Produced swords and bayonets during the Civil War, artillery armor through the World War. ,
DITTRICH, J. P.
Mobile, Ala. Lock marking of a Confederate musket.
Canton, Miss. Said to have made rifles for the Con federacy. On July 18, 1863 the Federals destroyed 5 locomotives, 30 cars of all kinds, 2 turn-tables, 13 railroad buildings, including engine-house for 7 engines, with repair shops filled with fine machinery attached; 1 machine-shop, depots, offices, &c, 300 feet of trestle and bridge work, and 2 miles of rails burned and bent.
DIXON, C. M.
Unlocated. Silver inlaid, curly maple halfstocked percussion rifle with Truitt Bros. & Co. lock.
Adams, N. Y., silver mounted over-under, percussion rifle.
Produced rifles, guns and pistols, breech-loading and muzzle-loading. Active at Xenia, Ohio, 1863-66, (hence to Dayton until 1886.
Unlocated. Percussion rifle maker.
DOELL, Frederick G.
11 Dock square, Boston, Mass. Born in Duchy of Saxony, Germany, Sept. 9, 1842, where he was apprenticed to the gunsmith trade in 1856. Emigrated to U. S. in 1872 and after working for Wm. Schaefer, in Boston until 1884, opened his own shop making custom arms and gun stocks. Succeeded by son, Frederick H.
DOHERTY & EVANS
Petersburg, Va. Makers of a walnut half stock, German silver trim, back action lock, double set triggers, percussion rifle. Also of half stock, percussion Kentucky rifle of good workmanship.
Petersburg, Va. Maker of a half stock, Kentucky type, percussion rifle with double set triggers, and percussion shotgun. (Same as Doherty of Doherty & Evans above?)
Vicinity of Morgantown, West Va. Percussion rifles.
York, Pa., musket and rifle maker, associated with Henry Pickell and Conrad Welshanze in a contract of April 17, 1801, with Commonwealth of Pennsylvania for 1,000 Charleville pattern (Model 1795) muskets. Contractor of 1792 for .50 coliber, flintlock Kentucky rifles with 33% inch barrels with muzzles turned down to take a bayonet, at $10.00 each.
New York, N. Y. Percussion period.
DONHAM, Lewis N.
"L. N. D." Greensboro, Greene Co., Pa.; also West Virginia. Born April 1, 1833, between Greensboro and Mapletown. Adopted initial N. after maturity. In early 1870's began apprenticeship under his uncle, Barney Engle, Greens boro, along with E. L. Pancost. Moved to Bowlby (10 miles south of Morgantown), West Virginia. Made full and half stock guns; expert at engraving, especially in German silver. Bought most of his barrel blanks, locks and triggers in Pittsburgh, Pa., but made and case-hardened his own tubes. Moved to West Virginia in 1890; sold out and returned in 1900, then did some arms work until his death August 6, 1902. Two German silver mounted Kentuckies and a fine, silver mounted, superposed double barrel revolving rifle, known. Used script initials "L. N. D." Taught school for twenty-odd years. Had been married twice and fathered 14 children.
Donmg, a Westphalian journeyman blacksmith, worked at the Mount ITolly Forge. Middlesex, Cumberland County, Penssylvania. Here he produced wrought iron cannon during the Revolution, the first so constructed in the Colonies. One of these pieces fell into the hands of the British at the Baltic of Brandywine and was sent to the Tower of London where it is still preserved. The British made efforts to secure the services of Doning but he remained steadfast to the American cause. He was pensioned under the l$w of 1818, and died at Mifflin, December 19, 1830, age ninety-four years.
Donn & Brother, James
Canton, 111. Produced breechloading shot- , guns, T880-84.
DONN, James & Bro.
Canton, 111., 1880-84.
Scranton, Pa., percussion period.
Homerville, Ohio, percussion period.
Worked on repair of public arms for Connecticut, 1777.
Homerville, Medina Co., gunsmith, 1857-1897. Born in Coatsville, N. Y. 1837. Came to Ohio in 1880. Died 1904.
Wheeling, W. Va., percussion period.
DORAN, J. E.
Ashtabula, O.; working in 1910.
Colonial period, 1633-37.
Scranton, Pa. Percussion period.
Belltown, Mifflin Co., Pa. Late Kentucky rifles.
Huntington, Pa., 1830; flintlock Kentucky rifles.
Dorsey & Bros., John E.
Baltimore, Md. Secured government contract for a 100 32-pounder carronades at $139.05, May 6, 1813.
Unlocated. Percussion Kentucky rifle.
Huntington, Ky. Maker of an inlaid, curly maple stock, percussion rifle.
Tyrone, Pa. Late maker of fine Kentucky rifles; one numbered 28.
East Springfield, Jefferson Co., Ohio. 1830-40.
Connecticut arms maker of Colonial and Revolu tionary War period. Repaired arms for the Connecticut Commit tee of Safety, 1777-78. Gooseneck hammer, three banded, .75 caliber musket known, equipped with 42 Vs inch British Brown Bess type barrel (formerly pin fastened) marked on top "DOVGLAS." Iron furniture except brass butt plate.
East Springfield, Jefferson Co., Ohio, 1830.
Maple full stock, brass patchbox, octagon barrel barrel percussion Kentucky rifle marked "THOMAS DOUGLAS" on barrel and "T. DOUGLAS" on engraved lock. Probably the same as Thomas Douglass.
East Springfield, Jefferson Co., Ohio, 1850.
Unlocated. Curly maple, full-stock percussion Ken tucky rifles. (Same as D. Douglas?).
Huntington, Pa., 1830.
Jonesboro, Tenn. Percussion rifles.
Unidentified. Percussion Kentucky rifle with silver inlays.
Philadelphia, Pa. Listed as gunsmith at 174 Coates, in 1829.
Dow, Eli S.
Rifle and gunmaker of Dayton, Ohio. Active 1859-80.
DOW, Eli S.
Dayton, Ohio, 1874-77.
Gunsmith. N.W. corner Green and Rose Alley, Phila., Pa., 1819.
Jackson Co., Ohio, 1851-76.
Jackson Co., Ohio, 1869-86.
Harrisonville, Ohio. Full curly maple stock, brass mounted, heavy octagon barrel percussion rifle.
Lancaster, Pa., 1784. Plain, neat flintlock Kentucky rifles.
Adolphus Drake, gunsmith of Everett, Bedford Co., Pa., celebrated his one hundredth birthday Aug. 18, 1952. He was born near Cumberland, Md., Aug. 18, 1852 and settled in the Everett area in 1873. Had been miner, tanner carpenter and as a sideline repaired guns and made muzzle-loading per cussion rifles.
35 Water St., Baltimore, Md., 1817.
Unlocated. Over-under, swivel breech, percussion, Kentucky type rifle marked "S. DRASHER." Period about 1840 1850.
Same as Henry Dreppert, Drepperd or Drippard. In side lock marking of a U. S. Model 1795 musket. Also lock mark ing of a Model 1808 type flintlock pistol by I. Guest.
Lancaster, Pa., before and after 1830. May be same as John Drepperd.
Riflernaker of Lancaster, Penna. Active 1848-57, Corner of King and Mulberry Sts.
Lancaster, Pa., 1857.
Also spelled Drepert, Dreppert and Drippard. Lancaster, Pa., 1775 and later. See Drepert.
Riflernaker of Lancaster, Penna., from about 1830 to 1857.
South Mulberry and West King Streets, Lan caster, Pa., 1857. Also listed as John Dreppard at the same ad dress in 1869-70. Maker of cherry wood stock, long barreled, percussion Kentucky rifle with Jos. Golcher lock.
Also spelled Drepert, Drepperd or Drippard. Lancaster, Pa., 1775 and later. See Drepert.
Pennsylvania, flintlock Kentucky rifles. See Dies bock.
DRESBACH, John Jr.
Mifflinburg, Pa. Probably son of John Dres bach above.
36 Light St., Baltimore, Md., 1817.
Unidentified. Kentucky rifles.
Driggs-Schroeder; Driggs-Seabury Gun & Ammunition Co.; Driggs- Seabury Ordnance Co.; Driggs Ordnance & Engineering Co.
Wm. H. Driggs and Seaton Schrocdcr of Washington, D. C., patented rapid-fire ordnance, February 28, 1888. In this breech-loading ordnance, the breech-block moves first downward in opening, then rotates backward and downward to open. Patent No. 378,828. This weapon was probably produced first by Wm. Cramps & Sons at Philadelphia, as an advertisement published in 1890 announced this firm as the manufacturers. Cramps discontinued the making of ordnance about 1894. In 1898 the Driggs-Seabury Gun & Ammunition Company established at Derby, New Haven County, Conn., and continued until 1903 when the plant was dismantled. Mention is ’made of ordnance by the Driggs Company in Ordnance Documents of 1915. Next the Driggs-Seabury Ordnance Company of Utica. N. Y., appears, operating through the World War period. The Driggs Ordnance & Mfg. Corp, follows to be succeeded by the Driggs Ordnance & Engineering Company, 19 West 44th Street, New York City, manufacturers of light naval guns, light artillery and special artillery, lo date. ef. Directory of the Iron & Steel Association, 1899 and 1904. Ordnance Document, No. 1763, Washington, 1915. P'g. 951, Official Gazette, U. S. Patent Office, Feb., 1888.
DRIGGS-SEABURY ORDNANCE CO.
Utica, N. Y., World War I arms. Associated with Savage Arms Co.
Famed riflemaker of Lancaster, Penna., 1767-73.
Lancaster, Pa., 1767-73.
Also spelled Dreppert and Drepperd. Lancaster, Pa., 1775. Kentucky rifles.
Unlocated. Kentucky rifles.
DRISCOLL, J. B.
Springfield, Mass. Maker of single-shot, metallic cartridge pistols with ratchet ejector under barrel.
Dudden, E. H.
Considered as one of the best craftsmen of Europe and America, this English gunsmith was induced to locate in Philadelphia, Penna. Here he worked upon a noted collection of projectile antis and made shotguns to order. Active 1926-27, he grew discouraged at the American market and returned to England.
2002 Mission St., San Francisco, Calif. Gunsmith, 1887.
Fine 18th century flintlock Kentucky rifle with Roman nose stock, gooseneck hammer.
DUFF, Geo. J.
Pittsburgh, Pa. Member of firm Whitmore, Wolff & Co., later Whitmore, Wolff, Duff & Co.
Charleston, S. C, 1867.
Gunsmith and lightning rod maker. Elysian Fields, New Orleans, La., 1853.
Duhiel Anns Company
Ardmore, Oklahoma. Successors to the Hoffman Arms Co. Custom built rifles.
Lancaster, Pa., 1802.
Unidentified. Half stock percussion rifle.
DUNCAN & BROS.
Philadelphia, Penna. Flintlock Kentucky rifle.
East Tennessee. Kentucky flintlock rifles.
DUNHAM, A. C.
Under hammer percussion pistol.
Path Valley, Franklin Co., Pa., about 1790. Long, ornate Kentucky flintlock rifles.
Pennsylvania. Percussion rifles.
Salisburg, N. H.
Percussion period. Owner of Pennsylvania Rifle Works.
Dunlap, H. C
Riflemaker of Kossuth, Auglaize County, Ohio. Active 1848-54.
Pittsburgh, Pa. Percussion rifles. Perhaps related to G. Dunlap of Penna. Rifle Works.
Sipesville, Somerset Co., Pa. Early 19th Century. Light, half stock boy's rifle with silver inlays and brass patch box and Bedford Co. percussion lock. Also made plain, crude rifles.
Penna. Fine, slow-twist rifles.
Swan Street, Buffalo, N. Y., 1832-35.
St. Louis, Mo.; making flintlock Kentucky rifles in 1806.
Gunsmith sent to Fort Washington, Ohio, by the Federal Government prior to 1790. At Zanesville, Ohio, 1804. Was also a silversmith.
Also Dunwicke. Chester County, Pa., Musket maker to Committee of Safety. Forty firelocks made and de livered Jan. 3, 1776. William Dunwick was one of the petitioners, representing Philadelphia gun makers, complaining to the Com mittee of Safety in November, 1776, against the high cost of materials and labor entering into arms making, and quoting advances in prices within one year, since 1775.
Gunsmith of Chester County, Penna. A Committee of Safety musket maker, he had delivered 86 muskets prior to Janu- ary 3, 1776. A report dated October 6, 1776, states he has 600 firelocks ready to be proved.
Gunsmith of Del Norte, Colorado. Made or assembled breech-loading arms, 1873-75.
New Bedford, Mass. Active in period 1828-1868. Veteran lance maker (for whaling purposes) and during a forty year period made 58,517 of them by actual record.
DURHAM IRON WORKS
Easton, Pa., prior to 1783. Owned and operated by Richard Backhouse.
DURKEE, J. H.
Lebanon, N. H. Percussion sporting and heavy target rifles.
DURKEL, G. F. S.
St. Louis, Mo. At No. 32 3rd St. in 1864.
Penna. rifle maker. Arrived Phila., Sept. 27, 1752 from Rotterdam, Holland. Served in Penna. rifle regiment in Revolution. Underside of one of his rifles stamped "CHD."
DURYEA & HEYER
Makers of a Kentucky type, full curly maple stock, brass trim, light weight, single barrel, percussion fowling pieces, rifles; underhammer rifles. Employed W. W. Whitmore and Tarrington.
DUTTON, John B.
Jaffey, New Hampshire, rifle maker well known locally for accuracy of his arms. Born at Dutton homestead, Jaffey, Jan. 16, 1820. Moved to East Jaffey Village in 1876. Died March 22, 1881.
Dutton, John S.
Jaffrey, New Hampshire. Served as apprentice in the shop of A. Leonard, Saxtons River, Vermont, and though discharged because of inattention he gained quite a reputation for good workmanship. Active from 1856 or before, to 1868 or later.
Pennsylvania; flintlock Kentucky rifles.
Dwight, H. D.
Riflemaker of Belchertown, Mass., 1847.
DWIGHT, H. D.
Belchertown, Mass., 1847.
West Hartford, Conn.